intro + puzzle 001

 In October of last year, I decided to set a new goal for myself: learn crossword construction. I joined a wonderful discord for crossword makers and within a couple of months, I found myself with an assignment to fulfill in a crossword puzzle gift exchange. This is how I ended up making my first puzzle, a midi. (For my non-crosswordy friends who are here to be supportive: crosswords are often categorized by size as mini, midi, standard weekday, and Sunday. Standard puzzles are 15x15 squares and most Sundays are 21x21, though variations can and do happen.)

I created this blog a few days into the new year with the intention of making at least one puzzle per month for fun and practice. Unfortunately, I was also experiencing new lows of depression and executive dysfunction, which it turns out is not a great state in which to accomplish anything other than lying facedown on various surfaces. So here we are in March with the puzzle I made in December, and you know what? That's fine. There are no due dates, and I'm just some guy. I hope you enjoy.

About this puzzle: I was assigned Yara, who since the exchange has had her first full-sized puzzle published over at Lemonade Disco! After reading her signup form and lightly stalking her social media, I decided to focus on our shared love of musical divas as a theme. ("Theme.") I also stuck in a shout out to the national poet of Palestine, Mahmoud Darwish, based on my social media learnings. If you haven't done the puzzle yet, this was a freebie. 

The grid was a challenge, because I do not know how to grid good; I also kept trying to put Mitski in 5-letter slots, because I do not know how to count letters good. Ultimately the central part of my grid came to me in an actual dream, and I think it's kinda fun. The fill is... middling, but I have been working on my word list, so stay tuned for possible improvements. But don't, like, hold your breath, okay?

Coming soon, I hope: another puzzle I began in December and never finished cluing. 

Until then, I remain,

Sincerely trying,

Town McGurl.

Comments